In the hot seat today I would like to welcome:
Hello Sarah, thank you for letting us have a peek behind the scenes into your reading habits. Your sun sign is CANCER.
- Cancerians are home-loving individuals. They appreciate the nest-like quality of a secure base. Do you have a particular place in your home that you read/blog, a place where you feel most relaxed and comfortable?
I love to blog from my study, which is very cosy and usually the cat and my three dogs will follow me in there too and all sleep under the desk. I do prefer reading on the sofa or in bed!
- Being over-imaginative can lead a Cancerian to fantasise about life. When you are reading, do you find it easy to imagine you are on that journey with the characters? Do you see images in your mind?
I do have a very active imagination and as a result I often get so drawn into a book that I feel that I know the characters and I am part of the story too. I often feel disappointed by films because the characters look different to how I imagined them whilst reading a book.
- A native born under the sign of Cancer is said to be loyal. Does your loyalty also extend to authors that you read? If you read a novel by an author that usually inspires you but in this particular story doesn’t, would you still read the next novel by the author?
I am very loyal and do think that this applies to the authors I read as well. I always read novels by my favourite authors even if one I have read in the past is not a favourite book for me. As a result, I have a huge collection of books at home!
- Cancerians have a retentive memory, particularly if it is prompted by strong emotions. Is there a novel that has provoked a strong reaction in you or a novel that you remember in particular detail because of the emotional aspect?
I found this question quite difficult as I wasn’t sure which novel to mention. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier is one of my favourite novels and I remember it in vivid detail as it was one of the books I studied at A-level. When I think of that book I instantly think of my last year at school and final exams before university.
- It is said that Cancerians are untidy. Is there an order to the books in your bookshelf or are they put there haphazardly. Do you have piles of books laying around or are they neatly stored?
Untidyness is probably one of my greatest flaws! I have one very tidy bookcase and that is full of books that I have reviewed. Unfortunately, my other bookcases (and there are alot!) are much more haphazard and I also having two overflowing to be read piles; one on my desk and one on my bedside table!
- Love and romance matter more than anything to Cancerians. Does this extend to your choice of genre? Are you most comfortable reading novels that include love and romance?
Yes, I think this is true about love and romance being one of my favourite genres. I also love historical fiction, especially if it includes romance. As an example, one of my favourite series’ of books is The Cousins’ War trilogy by Phillippa Gregory. I really am not so keen on crime or horror books.
- Cancerians are intrigued by the past. They love to collect antiques, old treasures and ancient relics. Do you have any book collections on your shelf? What is the oldest book in your possession?
Having studied History and Italian as my degree I am very intrigued by the past. I have quite a lot of old books that I have collected from various places. I think the oldest is probably an old collection of Jane Austen novels which belonged to the family.
- Being good at making money, Cancerians are also good at managing money. Do you put aside a specific amount of money for purchasing books? Do you have a wishlist you make your book purchases from or are you a ‘spontaneous’ buyer?
This question made me laugh as I am very good at spending money, unfortunately! I don’t really put aside a set amount for books, but I do like to buy a couple of books from Hatchards every month as I collect signed first editions. I also buy lots of my books after reading reviews, both online and in the review section of the weekend paper. I recently bought a signed copy of Santa Montefiore’s latest novel ‘The House by the Sea’.
Thank you for being so honest Sarah.
Sarah is an Associate Reader for Loveahappyending which is an interactive reader/author website. Visit Loveahappyending to find out more about this brilliant project and how you, as a reader, can support them.