In the hot seat today I would like to welcome:
Hello Pauline, thank you for letting us have a peek behindthe scenes. Your sun sign is SCORPIO.
- A Scorpio will never give up because they are determined to reach their goal. The key to success is founded on their ability to re-survey and take a different approach if necessary. Has this ever happened to anything you’ve been writing? Has something not been working out and you’ve managed to step back and re-evaluate what you could do?
Laugh! Ithink most of the time. I can say at some point during my writing of my lastthree books I had to stop and look at what was happening. In fact if I’m to behonest, more than once! Sometimes drastic changes were needed, other timestweaks. My latest book had some serious rewrites to get it flowing well. Sometimes It Happens… has a large castof characters and it was vital that not only did the characters play theirpart, but at the right time!
- With astute powers of observation and excellent memories, Scorpions are able to recall anything when needed. Do you use these skills when writing a descriptive piece from memory?
I’mterrible, I remember every detail and rarely miss much, but it does come inuseful when building my characters. Jane Leonard’s emotions in Magnolia House swing from joy to despairand I’ve tried to capture tiny details that convey to the reader how Jane feelsand how she deals with the enormity of her situation.
- Scorpions like to be in control – to be aware of situations and always know what’s going on. In life that isn’t always possible. Do you feel that in creating a world via your writing this helps you to feel safe on an inner level when maybe life is in chaos around you?
I’m acontrol freak and when I’m not in control I look for ways to shift the balanceback. As for writing, I just love to write, I suppose creating my charactersputs me in control of how they develop. Henry Bryant-Smythe from Satchfield Hall totally controlseveryone around him. He is the frightening side of control.
- Setting short term goals that can be accomplished is a Scorpion trait. Do you set yourself short-term goals – plan ahead?
I alwayshave a number of goals to meet, I like to set challenges. With my writing I amthe same, I set time frames and word counts. So when the words don’t flow orother things get in the way and I don’t meet my expectations, I am not happywith myself.
- With such a penetrative mind, Scorpios ask questions and delve deeply to understand something. Is this a trait you use in your research? Can you share with us any research techniques that have worked well for you?
I liketo fully understand what I write is plausible. I love writing the emotionalside of my characters, so I spend a lot of time watching and listening topeople on how they react and behave. For my next book (number 4) I have anappointment with a bank manager to understand debt, particularly unpaid debtand the actions that need to be taken, in particular drastic action! Once Iunderstand this part, I can write the emotional side of the story!
- Scorpions sensitivity means they get hurt easily on an emotional level. How have you handled any rejection in connection with your writing? Have you any helpful strategies to share with our readers?
Mywriting like all writers, I take personally and yes I do get upset withnegative criticism and rejection. I cry and keep away from people. Then whenI’ve ran out of tissues, I realise it is not the end of the world and I pickmyself up, brush myself down and get right back to doing what I love, writing.Everyone has their opinions and some are right and others, well! I wouldsuggest to anyone that no matter what is thrown at you, never ever give up inbelieving in yourself.
- John Keats, George Eliot and Robert Louis Stevenson are writers who were born with a Scorpion sun. Who has inspired you and please would you share why?
I can’tsay anyone person inspired me to write, I’ve always loved writing, but EnidBlyton inspired me to read all her wonderful children’s books. My parents areavid readers and I have never known a time in my life when they did not have abook at their side.
Thank you for sharing with us Pauline.
Pauline is a showcased author with Loveahappyending which is an interactive reader/author website. Visit Loveahappyending to find out more about this brilliant project and how you, as a reader, can support them.
Pauline Barclay Biography
Years ago I gained a BA (Hons)degree from the Open University, today I spend my time writing fiction. I havethree books published: Sometimes ItHappens…
Magnolia House and Satchfield Hall.
I am a Yorkshire lass, but havelived in several different locations including, Suffolk, Surrey andHolland. Today, I live on the beautifulvolcanic island of Lanzarote with my husband and our two gorgeous rescuedoggies.
All my books are available fromAmazon
All three are available in Kindleversion
Magnolia House & Satchfield Hall are also available inpaperback.
You can find me at:
My Web: www.pauliebarclay.co.uk
My Blog: http://paulinembarclay.blogspot.com
- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 408 KB
- Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
- Language English
- ASIN: B0050K7NVE
Winning the lottery was just the beginning for Doreen Wilkinson, nothing prepared Doreen for her holiday at Villas Bonitas and nothing prepared Villas Bonitas for Doreen Wilkinson.
Sometimes It Happens…is about secrets, deception, lies, love and laughter. Tears will flow because this is one holiday that will never ever be forgotten by many!